Whether you’re an amateur or a professional photographer, you can help us illustrate karst features and processes for a wide audience including technical professionals, educators, and citizens wishing to learn more about karst. Dive into your collection of photographs from karst regions around the world and submit your best images to our Karst Waters Institute (KWI) Karst Photo Contest. Your images (with full attribution) could be featured on our web site at https://karstwaters.org/educational-resources/ or in social media or other KWI communications intended to help others understand, appreciate, and protect karst resources. Our goal is to use images to illustrate and, therefore, better communicate facts about karst. We seek imagery to illustrate the karst landscapes (geomorphology), geology, hydrology, biology, and cultural history of karst systems.
The 2022 competition is complete; information for the 2023 competition will be posted in March.
DETAILS OF COMPETITION
- 1st place prize is $500.
- 2nd place prize is $250.
- $50 prizes will be awarded for one outstanding photograph in each of the five categories: karst landscapes (geomorphology), geology, hydrology, biology, and cultural history.
The winners will be contacted via the email address provided during entry. Public announcement of the winners will be made at the KWI Annual Awards Ceremony.
Selected photos will be displayed as part of a slide show at the KWI Annual Awards Ceremony.
- By participating in this Photo Contest you grant the Karst Waters Institute (KWI), a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution, the right to publish your full name and photographs on their web site and in their social media without compensation, notice, review, or approval. Author will be cited whenever a photograph is used.
- Photo submissions may come from anywhere in the world, but the location of the photograph must be reported.
- A short description of the subject of the photo must accompany the image. The subject being illustrated must be clearly explained in words. Word limit is 100 words.
- All photo submissions must be JPEG file format. Resolution should be about 300 DPI. File size must be less than 10 MB.
- File names should include your name and photo location. (i.e., JaneBrown-FloridaCollapsedSinkhole.jpeg)
- Each individual is limited to no more than 10 submissions for this year’s competition. Submit only one photograph with each email (see below).
- Individuals must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
- All photos must be original work, taken by the entrants. No third party may own or control any materials the photo contains, and the photo must not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person.
- Individuals officially affiliated with KWI (Board of Directors, Institute Officers, Associates, and Emeriti) and members of their families are not eligible for this competition.
Photographs will be anonymously judged based on the quality of the image as an illustration of the karst feature or process being documented. A component of the quality of the submission is the clear explanation in words of what the image illustrates. Judges will be five members of the KWI Board of Directors and three non-affiliated colleagues with experience in photo-judging competitions.
Successful photographs will be those showing technical excellence (well focused, sharp, well exposed) and compositional choices that make the photograph memorable and those that clearly illustrate the karst feature or process being described.
Winners will be announced at the KWI Annual Awards meeting in March 2022.
- Photographs must be in JPEG or .jpg format. Resolution should be about 300 DPI. Files size must be less than 10 MB. Higher resolution images may be requested by KWI for use in outreach materials.
- Photo submissions may be in horizontal or portrait format.
- The photographer’s name must not be visible on the photo itself.
- Submit image and description by email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit one photograph per email. An individual may submit multiple photos (up to 10, see Rules above) but may submit only one photograph per email.
- The photographer’s identity will be stripped from the image for the judging process.
- KWI reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.